Subject: Problems netbooting a sparc64
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/11/2007 10:20:32
   I have a DP ultrasparc enterprise 2 that I thought I'd bring up to
current and poke around the SMP code.  I have booted both sparc's and
sparc64's diskless in the past, but I don't do it often.

   I was reading through all of the documentation at www.netbsd.org,
dated though some of it is, and I think I have it mostly working.
The problem I believe I'm having is that it's taking the hme in the
machine too long to negotiate the link with my cisco switch.  I've
seen this sort of thing happen before with Ciscos.

   When I type "boot net", I can watch the console on the cisco
switch, see the link flap, then it's about 40-45 seconds after that
before the rarpd on the server noted getting a packet.  I don't know
how often the OFW sends packets, but I'd guess it's at least 30
seconds before traffic will pass through the cisco, maybe more like
40.  Then, I'm getting the ofb loaded (via tftp):

 >> NetBSD/sparc64 OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.10
 >> (cross@host.built.on, Say Jun  9 02:28:56 EDT 2007)

  ...and then after about 25-30 seconds, it reports:

bootp: no reply
Using BOOTPARAMS protocol: ip address: AA.BB.CC.DD

   But, this won't work.  It won't be able to find the server or root
path, since that's all in the dhcpd.conf on my DHCP server.

   Anyone know if there's a way to make the OFW bootloader (in -
current) pause before giving up on bootp/DHCP, or at least wait
longer for a response?

   Thanks...  I'm going to see if I can make the cisco stupider or
something.  :-)

                                              - Chris