Subject: Re: Load average and trying -current
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Shawn W. <shawnw@speakeasy.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/08/2007 00:01:10
On Jun 7, 2007, at 1:37 PM, Martin Husemann wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 12:11:08PM -0700, Shawn W. wrote:
>> load average when idle is consistently in the 0.08-0.10 range.
>> Looking at top, [ioflush] is consistently at the top of CPU-usage.
>
> This is not sparc64 specific. The syncer wakes up periodically and
> looks for work - apparently it gets sampled often enough as "runnable"
> so it adds to the load average. I'm not sure if we should worry
> about it,
> or even work around it for cosmetic reasons.

As long as it's harmless, I'll stop worrying about it.

> You can find information about the versioning here:
>
>    http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/release-map.html

Ooo. I don't know how I missed that, but the timeline and chart
answered a lot of questions about how the various releases relate to -
current..

> One concrete difference between the 4.0 branch and -current right
> now is the
> new threading in -current. 4.0 will still have the SA based one
> (though many
> bugs have been fixed).

Hmm. If the SA one's been fixed in -current, is it going to get
copied to 4.0?

--
Shawn W.
shawnw@speakeasy.org