Subject: Load average and trying -current
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Shawn W. <shawnw@speakeasy.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/07/2007 12:11:08
I have an Ultra 5 with a 270mhz UltraSparc IIi running NetBSD 3.1,
that usually sits around running dhcpd and hosting a ssh login. Its
load average when idle is consistently in the 0.08-0.10 range.
Looking at top, [ioflush] is consistently at the top of CPU-usage.
I'm used to other operating systems having a load average of 0 when
idle like that. Any idea what's happening?

Also, since while 3.1 is the latest release, it seems to be based on
a many-years-old version of the development tree, I'm thinking about
updating to a 4.0 beta (If I can find a recent one compiled for
sparc64) or a -current snapshot (They're not the same thing, right?
Trying to find out any information about what'll be in future
releases and how -current relates to 4.0 on the netbsd web page was
frustrating) so I can play with the latest and greatest -- in
particular, hardware accelerated GL, since my Ultra 5 has an ATI Mach
64 card (I don't think I'd /use/ it since I usually don't have a
monitor even hooked up to the machine, but it would be rewarding to
see a fast glxgears). Getting the thread bug fix would be nice too.
And, mmm... do any of the development versions support SMP on
sparc64? I have a dual-cpu Ultra 60 with an old version of FreeBSD I
wouldn't mind using with Net instead.

Thanks.

--
Shawn W.