Subject: Re: Have anyone tried to build NetBSD/sparc64 on Solaris 10/Sparc
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Vicky Staubly <vicky@steeds.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/31/2007 13:36:19
On Thu, 31 May 2007, Dave McGuire wrote:

>>>   ...assuming one compiler is just as good as the other, anyway.
>>
>> The compiler will only be used to bootstrap the toolchain. If you manage
>> to use SUNWspro for that you might get faster builds on Solaris SPARC.
>> But the binaries produced by the build should be the same.
>
>  Am I misunderstanding you, or are you suggesting that the binaries produced
> by the SunStudio compiler will be the same as those produced by GCC?
>
>  If that's what you're suggesting, you're way, way off, I'm sorry to say.

No, he's suggesting (I'm pretty sure), that the Sun compiler would only
be used to build gcc, so gcc might compile the kernel faster, but since
it's gcc generating the kernel, it should output the same code as a gcc
that was compiled by some other compiler (including gcc itself).

You'd have to rewrite all the makefiles and build scripts if you wanted
to get NetBSD itself (kernel and userland) compiled by the Sun compiler,
and it's likely to not work as-is (inline-assembly and other compiler
dependencies).

--
Vicky Staubly       http://www.steeds.com/vicky/        vicky@steeds.com