Subject: Re: X11 on Ultra 2 using 32 bit kernel and user land.
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/18/2007 14:18:12

Hello,

On Apr 18, 2007, at 13:09, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:54:27 -0400
> Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org> wrote:
>
>> wsdisplay at ffb?
>> You need a wscons kernel for XFree86
> wsmouse0 at ms0 mux 0
> [...]
> ffb0 at mainbus0 addr 0xfec00000: Creator3D, model SUNW,501-2633, dac
> 10
> ffb0: found old DAC, enabling redraw on unblank
> ffb0: attached to /dev/fb0
> wsdisplay0 at ffb0 kbdmux 1: console (sunffb, sun emulation)
> wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
> wsdisplay0: screen 1-3 added (sunffb, sun emulation)
> pcons at mainbus0 not configured
> timecounter: Timecounter "clockinterrupt" frequency 100 Hz quality 0
> timecounter: Timecounter "tick-counter" frequency 295999328 Hz quality
> 100
> wskbd0 at kbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
>
> So, yes, there is wscons. I also tried with wscons=YES in rc.conf.
>
>>> How to get X11 running?
>> X -configure
> I get:
> [root@Kriggle X11]$ XFree86 -configure
>
> XFree86 Version 4.5.0
> Release Date: 16 March 2005
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System:NetBSD/sparc 4.99.16 - The NetBSD Foundation,
> Inc.
> Current Operating System: NetBSD Kriggle 4.99.16 NetBSD 4.99.16
> (GENERIC32) #0: Fri Mar 30 18:16:04 CEST 2007
> jkunz@SirToby:/bigtmp/src/NetBSD/build/GENERIC32 sparc64
> Build Date: 24 March 2007
>         Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
>         to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Module Loader present
> Command line: XFree86 -configure
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
>         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (EE) error, (WW) warning,
>         (II) informational, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Wed Apr 18 16:57:51 2007
> xf86OpenConsole
> netbsdPciInit: can't open /dev/pci0
> List of video drivers:
>         suncg14
>         sunleo
>         suncg6
>         suncg3
>         atimisc
>         suntcx
>         sunbw2
>         pnozz
>         r128
>         radeon
>         wsfb
>         ati
> No devices to configure.  Configuration failed.

No sunffb driver, that's why it fails. Hmm, I guess I didn't enable it
after all.

>> Not fatal ( used to be but I changed that long ago ) and has nothing
>> to  do with your problem. I /think/ I enabled building the sunffb
>> driver on  sparc too a while ago but I'm not too sure. It probably
>> needs some  hacking, those changes we made to get it to work properly
>> on sparc64  might have hosed it for 32bit sparc.
> When I interpret the above output correctly XFree86 is missing sunffb.
> I am rebuilding -current at the moment anyway. If you point me at the
> right place to enable it, I can test it.

Look at the Makefile in src/x11/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/ - there's
bunch of .if ${ARCH} which control what drivers to build.

>>> If I can't use a UPA framebuffer, what about a SBus CG6?
>> Should Just Work. Toss in as many cg6 as you have monitors ;)
> OK. So this will be my fall back solution. I would like to avoid it.
> 8 bpp isn't that exciting these days...

Indeed. On the other hand, if you can get away without anti-aliased
fonts it's pretty quick, at least with a Turbo GX, and you can use as
many CG6 as you have slots. Even KDE is more or less usable on my U1.

have fun
Michael