Subject: Re: bus error with leafnode
To: NetBSD sparc64 <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 01/03/2007 11:57:37
On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 07:48:33PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I wanted to get some information about how I should debug this or if
> anyone might have the same issue.

I'm certainly no expert on this, but I'm trying to resolve some similar
issues with X11 apps on -current sparc64. My approach has been:
- Rebuild the app with debugging info (CFLAGS+="-g")
- Run the app and make sure I get a core dump
- Debug the app with gdb using the core dump just created
  ("gdb app app.core" and then run/step/etc)
That will get you to the line of code that's causing the bus error.

> What is a general cause, if any, for bus errors in NetBSD sparc64 when a
> process is started from inetd?

In many cases they're caused by bugs (typically assumptions about the size
of longs).

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mjturner.net/