Subject: Re: Bus errors on -current with certain X11 apps
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/29/2006 11:34:30
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 15:01:41 -0500
Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org> wrote:

> > I get similar bus error core dumps with sylpheed-claws, but did't
> > debug this.
> Hmm, this used to work fine here,
What version? Sylpheed (-claws) pkgsrc was updated from 1.0.4 to 2.5.5
in October. I don't like 2.5.5 (thread view, @^&!*% anti-aliased fonts,
unable to use good, old, standard X11 fonts, no GPG out of the box ...),
I am going back to 1.somthing.

> just had to fix a 64bit uncleanliness  in the gpg-plugin, sent the
> patch to the developers and I think they used it.
It seems the pkgsrc Sylpheed-claws 2.5.5 doesn't support GPG out of the
box.

[garbeld screen output in some window areas]
> That's a problem with the sunffb driver. Sometimes the hardware freaks
> out like that, I have no idea why and I found no way to reproduce it=20
> reliably in X. If you find a way please let me know.
It is easy and reliably to reproduce with Sylpheed-claws 2.5.5. Open a
mail folder, set all mails to unread and walk from mail to mail with the
space bar. At one point sylpheed scrols the thread view / message list.
I always get a garbled screen at that point. But only the area that is
scroled gets garbled. As you noted in the other mail: The text in the
hardware acceleration to X for font anti-aliasing?)

> We've had that for a long time, got better about two years ago but=20
> still happens to some apps, mainly threaded ones.
Hmmm. The old thread problem again. :-(

BTW: I had a quick look at the trace of the Sylpheed-claws 2.5.5 crash.
It doesn't look like X11 related.

My Hardware is a U10, Console and X11 on the Creator, 1280x1024@76.
cpu0 at mainbus0: SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIi @ 300 MHz, UPA id 0
cpu0: 32K instruction (32 b/l), 16K data (32 b/l), 512K external (64 b/l)
[...]
machfb0 at pci1 dev 2 function 0: ATI Technologies 3D Rage I/II (rev. 0x9a)
machfb0: 16 MB aperture at 0xe1000000, 4 KB registers at 0x00000000
machfb0: 2048 KB SGRAM 62.999 MHz, maximum RAMDAC clock 170 MHz
mach64_get_mode: 1152 5304 5432 1528 900 902 938 937
machfb0: initial resolution 1152x864 at 8 bpp
machfb0: attached to /dev/fb0
machfb0: initializing the DSP
wsdisplay1 at machfb0 kbdmux 1
wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay1
wsdisplay1: screen 0-3 added (default)
[...]
ffb0 at mainbus0 addr 0xfebee000: Creator, model SUNW,501-4789, dac 10
machfb0: moved to /dev/fb1
ffb0: attached to /dev/fb0
wsdisplay0 at ffb0 kbdmux 1: console (sunffb, sun emulation)
wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
wsdisplay0: screen 1-3 added (sunffb, sun emulation)

BTW2: Is it possible to use a custom Modeline on the Creator?
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen