Subject: Desktop applications on netbsd/sparc64
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Pierre Pronchery <khorben@defora.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/26/2006 15:46:25
	Hi ports/sparc64,

I am currently developing a bunch of desktop applications which I also
intend to run on my sparc64 machine, simply because I don't like the
existing desktop environments (Gnome/KDE/XFCE/...). Most also happen to
not be multi-threaded. I develop in C with Gtk+ >= 2.4, with as few
external dependencies as currently possible.

For this matter I am curious to know if anyone of you also intends to
use a sparc64 machine as desktop, and may also be looking for an
alternative to current applications in this area.

The following are already functional:
- file browser
- text editor
- media player (embedding mplayer)

The rest is still in the works:
- web browser (not 100% usable because gtkmozembed sucks)
- mail client (can send mails using sendmail, can handle accounts
plug-ins, but that's about it)

Of course these applications are designed to run on other platforms as
well. I just do not want too much publicity yet, because I am simply not
ready for it: the whole project is not yet as easy to download, compile
and run as I would like (I still have to advertise the license).

You can browse my CVS tree if you like:
http://www.defora.org/index.php?module=project&action=browse&id=11&file=/Apps/Desktop/src

Some screenshots can be found there:
http://www.defora.org/index.php?module=category&action=default&id=293

The web browser code is not integrated yet, but it looks like:
http://people.defora.org/~khorben/projects/surfer/surfer.png

Anyway, I hope this is useful, and feel free to contact me off-list.

--
khorben