Subject: Creative use of Raidframe
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher Sean Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/22/2006 13:23:04
--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

I'm trying to use raidframe on an E250 to create a 36G RAID 0+1 volume
from 4 18G disks. The configuration is as follows:

     raid0 =3D stripe(sd1e, sd2e)
     raid1 =3D stripe(sd3e, sd4e)
     raid2 =3D mirror(raid0, raid1)

The initial conviguration of raid0 and raid1 completes nearly
instantly. The configuration of raid1 posts an estimated time to
complete of 7+ hours.=20

I have 3 questions:

Is the 7 hour estimate indicative of the performance that I will get
out of this set? I'm assuming that all that really needs to happen is
that the contents of raid0 needs to be copied onto raid1

Has anyone done this kind of thing before? I'd like to share
experience if that's possible?=20

Am I running down a huge rat hole here or, is there some better way
that I'm just not seeing?

Thanks for any help

-- Chris

P.S. In writing this letter I realized that one better way to do this
may be to setup:

     raid0 =3D mirror(sd1e, sd2e)
     raid1 =3D mirror(sd3e, sd4e)
     raid2 =3D stripe(raid0, raid1)

I plan to try that right now.

--=20
Chris Hilton                                   chris-at-vindaloo-dot-com
                "All I was doing was trying to get home from work!"
                                                 -- Rosa Parks

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd--