Subject: Re: e450 as a modern server
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/31/2006 01:51:40
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Tue_Oct_31_01:51:40_2006-1

    rm> And why would that be??

because the free-as-in-freedom Sun promised has not materialized yet.
solaris ships on 5 CD's, while the opensolaris source tarball is only
about 60MB, and they continue to quietly commit brand-new Sun-written
closed-source drivers.  i want to be optimistic, but there is still a
real chance they will pull a Darwin.

so far in this latest round of Sun hype, they seem to be delivering
things ~1yr after they're promised, but the final product does live up
to their claims.  I hope that trend continues, and that they manage to
build a modern free platform for us and nail it to the ground so it
doesn't get washed away like alpha.  But IMHO my #1 rule for Sun right
now is: don't repeat their claims as fact unless I've seen it myself.

that's disappointing about sybase playing the same
what-they-think-the-customer-can-bear game as wolfram.  sounds like
they risk pricing themselves into the stone age like the Lisp
companies.