Subject: Re: e450 as a modern server
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/30/2006 16:35:22
On Oct 30, 2006, at 3:38 PM, Miles Nordin wrote:

>     sc> there's lots of good old ultra hardware out there available
>     sc> for a song [...] take it over an x86 box anyday.
>
> I more or less agree, except that if you are running more than one or
> two very old, simple programs (apache, mutt, Postfix, Samba, Perl and
> BIND on a good day), these machines simply will not work.  ex.:
>
>  * Java (Azureus)
>  * OpenOffice
>  * anything using Gnome or KDE because of thread bugs

   That's why I use Solaris for those types of apps. ;)  You've not
lived until you've seen Azureus running on a Enterprise-class Sun
with eight 400MHz processors with 8MB of cache *each*, 8GB of RAM,
and FC-attached hardware RAID.  I never thought anything written in
Java could be "instant" until I saw that.  Woo!

                -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Cape Coral, FL