Subject: Re: e450 as a modern server
To: Sean Caron <caron.sean@gmail.com>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/30/2006 16:30:46
On Oct 30, 2006, at 4:21 PM, Sean Caron wrote:
> hi miles -- i definitely feel what you're saying. the risc platforms
> definitely aren't for everyone. there are a lot of things that they
> won't really do, or won't really do well enough that you'd want to use
> them. i personally love my risc gear because although it might be a
> little slower than some junk x86 gear that is easily obtainable from
> any garbage bin these days and might use a little more power,

   I think you mean "older machine" rather than "risc box" here.
Comparing the performance of brand-new x86 gear with decade-old RISC
systems is hardly an apples<->apples comparison.  Get yourself a nice
little 1U Sun T1000 and see how many PCs it'll replace without
breaking a sweat.  That's always "educational" for the suitly types
who seem to think they need to put x86 PCs in the datacenter.

> i feel
> it is much more trustworthy. i can toss that sparc in the corner and
> it'll run for years and years and years

   I agree with this 100%.  I have better things to do than
constantly repair broken-down consumer hardware that's been pressed
to handle server duties.

> its sad, but you're entirely right. x86 won.

   ...in some areas, like desktops.  Real server work, however, is
typically done on real computers.  You just don't see very many
serious datacenters full of PCs.  Some, sure...complete with a
constant revolving-door of repair parts, etc.  But for the most part,
that world is actually populated by UltraSPARCs, RS/6000s, and big HPs.

                -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Cape Coral, FL