Subject: Re: e450 as a modern server
To: Sean Caron <caron.sean@gmail.com>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/29/2006 13:28:23
On Oct 29, 2006, at 11:38 AM, Sean Caron wrote:
> all in all these are fun systems and they look really cool, but if it
> happens to go belly up, its difficult to find spares and you pay a
> premium over boxes e.g. ultra60/80 that are more common and offer
> generally similar performance (if you don't need 14 pci slots, lol)

   This has not been my experience.  First of all, these types of
systems tend not to break, so this is really a no-brainer.
Second...if all you look for is PCs, all you'll see is PCs.  Very few
people that I know have any PC hardware...I have (quite literally) a
house full of Sun gear, as does nearly everyone I know, except for
perhaps my fiancee' parents.  It's trivially easy to find.  You just
have to get out of the "all I will find is PC hardware" mindset,
that's all.

                -Dave