Subject: e450 as a modern server
To: NetBSD Port Sparc64 <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/28/2006 09:49:38
For work I just bought a large chassis filled with SATA drives to use as a
backup spooler/NAS.  I have this e450 sitting here and while I can't use its
MP features, it would seem to have sufficient power to spin up a pile of
drives.  So I got to wondering if I put in a 3ware SATA-R controller and
cabled up an array of drives...  No, there wouldn't be a hot-swap planar and
I'd probably have to make power cords for the drives.

Has anyone done such a thing already?  What other things would limit the
effectiveness of a system configured like this?  There's no BIOS for the
cards to get configured, anything else?

peter