Subject: Re: Stable again?
To: Geoff Adams <gadams@avernus.com>
From: Raymond Meyer <raymond.meyer@rambler.ru>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/26/2006 14:45:48
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:03:24 -0400
Geoff Adams <gadams@avernus.com> wrote:

> On 25 Oct 2006, at 9:02 PM, Raymond Meyer wrote:
>
> > Nevermind SMP, what about threading bugs on sparc64, are they still
> > at large??
>
> As far as I can tell, yes. (Although I admit I've been waiting for
> the now-announced settling of the SMP work to try a new -current
> kernel.) I've just done an update, and the build begins now...
>
> I am becoming quite motivated to work on solving this problem, and
> I've just begun trying to figure out where to start looking. I'm
> figuring this will involve mucking around in kernel code and the
> pthreads library, although I'll admit I haven't looked into the SA or
> threading architecture in NetBSD in general.
>
> Is there anyone out there who has any ideas about what's going wrong?
> I'd appreciate any head starts anyone can give me. Without that, I'll
> just be starting from scratch trying to figure it out. All I know
> right now is that threaded programs seem to die when parts of them
> are paged back in. I'll start there.

I think you're on your own, since there is not much documentation to describe
the inner workings of NetBSD. Yes you can read the source code, but it's not
the substitute for proper documentation. I recently bought "Solaris Internals"
book that describes in detail OpenSolaris kernel architecture, why isn't there
something similar for NetBSD?? There are some howtos at
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/ which are brief and don't go into much
detail.