Subject: Re: Impossible to get 'total memory' value via SNMP
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/24/2006 17:24:21
On Tue, October 24, 2006 14:55, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 02:29:51PM +0200, Joel CARNAT wrote:
>
>> Reviewing my snmp/rrdtool installation, I'm diggind the OID for
>> NetBSD/sparc64. What is weird is replies dealing with memory.
>>

> What SNMP server are you using? "net-snmp" doesn't work properly on
> 64Bit platforms out of the box. Several patches were added to
> "pkgsrc" package to fix that recently.

I use net-snmp-5.3.1nb1, from pkgsrc.
What else can I use to get "valid" data ?

Is extending snmp with scripts the only way to get descent info ?
I already do that to get data from DNS, Mail, ... via external script so
it's not difficult to get date from top/uptime/vmstat/... I just wondered
why I couldn't manage using the standard OID values :)

>> Anyone have links to (public) NetBSD/snmp/rrdtool/mrtg example ?
>>

> I only use "mrtg" to monitor the network bandwidth usage on the
> NetBSD-sparc system acting as my firewall and router.

Yeah... most of MRTG links are network related.
More complex/various example I found was for rrdtool.
BTW, both use snmp the same way so that's OK for me to check if I use the
standard OID :)

Regards,
   Jo