Subject: Re: PS2 Keyboard Issue
To: Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 08/10/2006 17:34:29
Matthew Smith wrote:
> Hi
>
> In my attempts to put "anything but Solaris 9" on my old Ultrasparc box,
> NetBSD looks to be the most stable and straight-forward option.  (Won't
> run Solaris 10, major headaches with Silo on Gentoo Linux.)
>
> However, less than a minute after boot, I have run into a problem.  This
> machine has two keyboard sockets - Sun and PS/2.  I only have a PS/2
> keyboard; when asked to select a keyboard layout, NO keys are
> recognised, although OpenBoot is quite happy to recognise the keyboard.

What class of machine is this?  Not many have SPARC machines have PS/2
keyboards (I always figured Tadpole was the main perpetrator of this
kind of bastardization.)

> Is there an easy way around this, or do I need to do my installation
> sans-keyboard, over a serial connection?  Thought I'd ask before I go
> soldering up a splitter cable ;-)

Plug in a Sun keyboard?  :-)  Hmm.. our Tadpole Voyager IIi units also
have both PS/2 and Sun keyboard ports on them.  I should check into it
at some point.

    -- Garrett
> Cheers

General Dynamics C4 Systems