Subject: Re: [sparc64] Re: U10 heart into an U5 body
To: NetBSD/sparc64 <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: Arjen <lists@bz2.nl>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/24/2006 16:50:47
On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 04:40:08PM +0200, Volker A. Brandt wrote:
> That is strange.  It's possible that there were different boards
> with different speeds, but I rather doubt it.
There are different system boards, I think the U10 and the newer U5's
have the fast kind (support for 440MHZ cpu and 50ns vs 60ns memory
I think). The boards fit in any U5/U10 case.
I think the U5 was never sold with a 440MHZ cpu and officially does not
support up to 1024M RAM, even though the system board is the same as in
the U10, so naturally supports the same CPU types.
So,
> > would it be possible to take the motherboard (+CPU, +RAM) from an
> > Ultra10
> > and plug it into the case of an Ultra5 ?
is perfectly possible, but it might be cheaper to get an Ultra5 that already
has the better mainboard (I think the newer ones have "PGX24" on the
left side of the case with the S/N, instead of PGX or something else).

Greetings,
Arj