Subject: Re: openafs on netbsd/sparc64?
To: Sean Caron <caron.sean@gmail.com>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/06/2006 18:22:33
--IiVenqGWf+H9Y6IX

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 11:20:47AM -0400, Sean Caron wrote:
> hello all!
>=20
> i am trying to get some kind of distributed computing environment up and
> running on my network which runs entirely on
> sun sparc and ultrasparc systems using netbsd/3.0. i'm mucking around with
> both coda and afs, jumping between the
> two when i feel like putting more effort into one or the other. right now,
> i've got coda to build right but it doesnt work quite
> right, so i'm back looking at afs momentarily.
>=20
> now, there have been reports [1] that openafs can be made to run on netbsd
> as a server, and you can use arla as a client.

I'm doing it here.  (I have met both of the authors of that presentation,
and have regular contact with one.)

> great. so i go to download the pkgsrc and -- of course -- it is only
> available for the i386 architecture. ugh. now, my question
> is:
>=20
> ** if it is known that openafs can run on netbsd [1]
>=20
> ** and it is also known that openafs can run on big-endian architectures
> like SPARC (running solaris) [2]
>=20
> ** is there some reason why openafs would not run on netbsd/sparc and/or
> netbsd/sparc64?

Because OpenAFS is missing a param file that defines various
things about a specific platform.  (in openafs's src/config directory)
Once someone pieces one together (and tells autoconf about it and
various other things) it should work.

There are already param files for

alpha 1.5 and 6

i386 1.5-3.0

ppc 1.6 and 2.0

>=20
> ** were there any tweaks needed to get openafs to build on netbsd?

See above.

Once I tried getting OpenAFS to compile on macppc 3.0 by trying to hack
the build system, suffice it to say I gave up and got another i386 box.

>=20
> i find it hard to believe that whoever did the port got it to build right
> out of the box, but yet there is no pkgsrc-SRC available on
> netbsd that we might actually try to use to build on different architectu=
res
> -- just binaries -- and i have found nothing besides [1]
> that indicates that netbsd could run afs and what sort of tweaks would be
> required to get it to build.
>=20
> has anyone tried this before? if so, could you furnish any pointers as to
> what i'd need to do to build it? i tried to do it once in the
> past, just trying to hack it up whenever the compiler ran into an error, =
and
> i didn't really get very far. i'm not planning on spending
> a lot of time mucking with it further when i can get coda to at least bui=
ld
> -- which is more than i can say for afs -- but i just thought
> i'd ask.
>=20
> thanks in advance,
>=20
> sean caron
> scaron@umich.edu
> scaron@diablonet.net
>=20
> [1]
> http://www.public.iastate.edu/~kula/talks/afs-bpw-2005/afs-bpw-2005-iowa.=
html
>=20
> [2] http://www.openafs.org/release/openafs-1.4.1.html

Just some more thoughts:

Getting arlad to be useably stable on sparc64 took some time, but, it's
now known that compiling it with -O0 is the shortcut to get around the
anomalies associated with gcc compiling arla.

OpenBSD has s/arla/afs/ in their base system, however, they don't care
about it working on their various lesser-used platforms (this
=66rom personal experience with a bug report about s/arlad/afsd/
on OpenBSD/hppa 3.9)

You might also try arla's experimental server.

In short, feel lucky that this stuff at least works on NetBSD/i386.

Tracy is the maintainer of the openafs package for NetBSD,
and there are people in Ames who would be willing to loan her
a sparc64 box to do a port.  It's just not terribly important
to the 2 other people I know who have considered running OpenAFS
on NetBSD/sparc64, especially considering it Just Works on i386.

	Jonathan Kollasch

--IiVenqGWf+H9Y6IX

--IiVenqGWf+H9Y6IX--