Subject: openafs on netbsd/sparc64?
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Caron <caron.sean@gmail.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/05/2006 11:20:47
------=_Part_9306_16974266.1149520847402

hello all!

i am trying to get some kind of distributed computing environment up and
running on my network which runs entirely on
sun sparc and ultrasparc systems using netbsd/3.0. i'm mucking around with
both coda and afs, jumping between the
two when i feel like putting more effort into one or the other. right now,
i've got coda to build right but it doesnt work quite
right, so i'm back looking at afs momentarily.

now, there have been reports [1] that openafs can be made to run on netbsd
as a server, and you can use arla as a client.
great. so i go to download the pkgsrc and -- of course -- it is only
available for the i386 architecture. ugh. now, my question
is:

** if it is known that openafs can run on netbsd [1]

** and it is also known that openafs can run on big-endian architectures
like SPARC (running solaris) [2]

** is there some reason why openafs would not run on netbsd/sparc and/or
netbsd/sparc64?

** were there any tweaks needed to get openafs to build on netbsd?

i find it hard to believe that whoever did the port got it to build right
out of the box, but yet there is no pkgsrc-SRC available on
netbsd that we might actually try to use to build on different architectures
-- just binaries -- and i have found nothing besides [1]
that indicates that netbsd could run afs and what sort of tweaks would be
required to get it to build.

has anyone tried this before? if so, could you furnish any pointers as to
what i'd need to do to build it? i tried to do it once in the
past, just trying to hack it up whenever the compiler ran into an error, and
i didn't really get very far. i'm not planning on spending
a lot of time mucking with it further when i can get coda to at least build
-- which is more than i can say for afs -- but i just thought
i'd ask.

thanks in advance,

sean caron
scaron@umich.edu