Subject: Re: Request HW Compatibility Ultra 10 and new HD
To: None <emr96@columbia.edu>
From: Hammond, Robin-David%KB3IEN <muaddib@databit7.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/20/2006 04:06:22
I have not used netbsd on the u10. if its single ultra I or ultra II it
should work.

HD changes on the SUN are EASY, they tend toward SCA and other decent
connectors that make upgrades painless.

the netbsd installer works on (?almost) any firmware supported cdrom drive
on the sun. (Apple internal cdrom 150,300 are known to be problematic.)

On Fri, 19 May 2006, Edward M. Roche wrote:

> Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 19:10:29 -0400
> From: Edward M. Roche <edwardmroche@gmail.com>
> To: port-sparc64@NetBSD.org
> Subject: Request HW Compatibility Ultra 10 and new HD
>
> -- On Fri, 19 May 2006 02:31:19 +0000 (UTC) Edward M.Roche wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>> I've been using an old version of suse on a Sun Ultra 10
>> workstation.
>> The machine is used lightly, primarily as a web and mail
>> server. Recently, however, I've notice a sector problem
>> with the hard disk. It now will fail approximately every
>> 3-4 months. So my question is:
>> 1/ Will NetBSD work for the Ultra 10 sparc?
>> 2/ It is complicated/possible to change out the hard disk
>> [put in something with larger capacity], and have NetBSD
>> easily accommodate/format it?
>> I'm sorry for the unsophisticated question, but I'm not a
>> technolgy person, but would greatly appreciate any advice
>> [reading matter] you can help/point me to.
>
> Hello,
>
> I believe that answer on both you question is "yes", but unfortunately
> can't say more beacuse I'm not a SPARC-guru, sorry (you have contacted
> www team). Could you direct your questions to port-sparc64@NetBSD.org
> maillist [1], please? This mailing list was specially created for
> owners of UltraSPARC-based systems.
>
> Thanks you for interest in NetBSD and good luck!
>
> --

> Edward M. Roche
> Email: emr96@columbia.edu

Some people are born mediocre, some people achieve mediocrity, and some
people have mediocrity thrust upon them.
                 -- Joseph Heller, "Catch-22"

Robin-David Hammond	KB3IEN
 	www.aresnyc.org.