Subject: Re: DEFPA-DA FDDI on NetBSD/sparc64?
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Adams <gadams@avernus.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/10/2006 00:17:15
On Fir, 14 Apr 2006 22:41:04 Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:49:14 -0400 "Sean Caron"
> <caron.sean@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I say "ifconfig fpa0 up".. just the simplest thing ever, not even
>> assign an address to it, and I get:
>>
>> fpa0: Unsolicited Event: Station: Unknown Event #0
>>
>> just scrolling down the screen infinitely, and the box is locked
>> hard.
> I just remembered. fpa(4) does dirty tricks with bus_dma(9) it should
> not do. You will need the attached patch to make fpa(4) work on
> sparc /
> sparc64.

The timing here couldn't be better. I have DEFPAs in all my Alphas,
but I just threw the first one into a sparc64, and I had exactly this
problem. And the patch you posted solves it without any apparently
problems.

Is this fix an appropriate one for committing to the source tree? (I
haven't looked into the details of what your fix does when avoiding
calling bus_dmamem_map().) Have you submitted it via send-pr? It
seems like this should be there so everyone with a DEFPA in their
Sparc can use it.

>> What do you mean by "almost"? :)
> Minor problems like the non-working tcpdump.

I noticed that with the FDDI interfaces in my Alphas, and fixed it a
couple years ago. My fix was modified, and sent off to the libpcap
source tree, and should be in src/lib/libpcap/pcap-bpf.c rev 1.16
(see bin/28531). But sure enough, it still doesn't work in -current.
I'll look into that and see if I can figure out what's wrong. (Up
'till now, I'd still been running with my local patch.)

Anyway, thanks for the pdq_ifsubr.c patch!
- Geoff