Subject: Re: u10 dont want to boot NetBSD 3 Install kernel
To: None <sammyshome@gmx.net>
From: Johan A.van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/27/2006 01:15:51
sp4rc <sammyshome@gmx.net> wrote:
> Dear sparc lovers,
>
> I have tried booting the NetBSD 3.0 Install kernel from the OpenBSD
> system and from CD but both times it stucks... The OpenBSD 3.8 Kernel
> boots from CD and HD without any problems, so there should be anything
> okay with my hardware.

[smip]

I just tried the same install kernel on the only sparc64 machine i have, a
Sun SPARCenfine Ultra AXi board. It boots that kernel OK.

> psycho0 at mainbus0 addr 0xfffc4000
> SUNW,sabre: impl 0, version 0: ign 7c0 bus range 0 to 128; PCI bus 0
> [/console-output]

 Here are the similar lines from its boot, and what happens afterwards:

psycho0 at mainbus0 addr 0xfffc4000
SUNW,sabre: impl 0, version 0: ign 7c0 bus range 0 to 128; PCI bus 0
DVMA map: c0000000 to e0000000
IOTSB: 852000 to 8d2000
pci0 at psycho0
pci0: i/o space, memory space enabled
ppb0 at pci0 dev 1 function 1: Sun Microsystems Simba PCI bridge
(rev. 0x11)
pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
pci1: i/o space, memory space enabled
ebus0 at pci1 dev 1 function 0
ebus0: Sun Microsystems PCIO Ebus2, revision 0x01
auxio0 at ebus0 addr 726000-726003, 728000-728003, 72a000-72a003,
72c000-72c0033
power at ebus0 addr 724000-724003 ipl 37 not configured
SUNW,pll at ebus0 addr 504000-504002 not configured
sab0 at ebus0 addr 400000-40007f ipl 43: rev 3.2
sabtty0 at sab0 port 0: console i/o
sabtty1 at sab0 port 1
com0 at ebus0 addr 3803f8-3803ff ipl 41: ns16550a, working fifo
kbd0 at com0
com1 at ebus0 addr 3602f8-3602ff ipl 42: ns16550a, working fifo
ms0 at com1
wsmouse0 at ms0 mux 0
lpt0 at ebus0 addr 340278-340287, 30015c-30015d, 700000-70000f ipl 34
fdthree at ebus0 addr 3203f0-3203f7, 706000-70600f, 720000-720003 ipl 39
not cod
clock0 at ebus0 addr 0-1fff: mk48t59
flashprom at ebus0 addr 0-fffff not configured
beeper at ebus0 addr 722000-722003 not configured
hme0 at pci1 dev 1 function 1: Sun Happy Meal Ethernet, rev. 1
hme0: interrupting at ivec 3021
hme0: Ethernet address 08:00:20:9e:bb:be
nsphy0 at hme0 phy 1: DP83840 10/100 media interface, rev. 1
nsphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
machfb0 at pci1 dev 4 function 0: ATI Technologies 3D Rage II+ (rev. 0x9a)
machfb0: 16 MB aperture at 0x41000000, 4 KB registers at 0x00000000
memctl: 00401097
machfb0: 4096 KB EDO DRAM 94.585 MHz, maximum RAMDAC clock 200 MHz
machfb0: initial resolution 1152x864 at 8 bpp
initializing the DSP
wsdisplay1 at machfb0 kbdmux 1
wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay1
wsdisplay1: screen 0-3 added (default, sun emulation)
ppb1 at pci0 dev 1 function 0: Sun Microsystems Simba PCI bridge
(rev. 0x11)
pci2 at ppb1 bus 128
pci2: i/o space, memory space enabled
esiop0 at pci2 dev 1 function 0: Symbios Logic 53c875 (ultra-wide scsi)
esiop0: using on-board RAM
esiop0: interrupting at ivec 20
scsibus0 at esiop0: 16 targets, 8 luns per target
esiop1 at pci2 dev 1 function 1: Symbios Logic 53c875 (ultra-wide scsi)
esiop1: using on-board RAM
esiop1: interrupting at ivec 20
scsibus1 at esiop1: 16 targets, 8 luns per target
pcons at mainbus0 not configured
No counter-timer -- using %tick at 300MHz as system clock.
wskbd0 at kbd0 mux 1
kbd0: reset failed
wskbd0: connecting to wsdisplay1
Kernelized RAIDframe activated
md0: internal 5120 KB image area
scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
scsibus1: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <IBM, DDYS-T09170N, S93E> disk fixed
sd0: 8748 MB, 15110 cyl, 3 head, 395 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 17916240
sectors
sd0: sync (50.00ns offset 16), 16-bit (40.000MB/s) transfers, tagged
queueing
cd0 at scsibus0 target 6 lun 0: <TOSHIBA, XM6201TASUN32XCD, 1103> cdrom
removabe
cd0: sync (100.00ns offset 16), 8-bit (10.000MB/s) transfers
root on md0a dumps on md0b
root file system type: ffs
erase ^?, werase ^W, kill ^U, intr ^C

If you are using a SUN type 4 keyboard, please enter "sun-type4".
Terminal type (just hit ENTER for 'sun'):

> Any hints on this would be really great. Do you think upgrading the PROM
> would solve this issue? I just cant find any PROM updates for this old
> workstation on sun's website...

The first line i have that you do not starts with "DVMA map:".  Based on
the comments in NetBSD-3/src/sys/arch/sparc64/dev/iommu.c i think this has
to do with setting up kernel structures for devices.

What sort of PCI cards do you have in the machine?

 Have you tried dropping to the debugger?  (Send a break from a serial
connection or hold down the "STOP" or "L1" key on a Sun keyboard and the
press "A")

 At the "db>" prompt you can type "tr" and that might give some clue as to
where it's hanging.  I think i saw an  install kernel with debugging
symbols on ftp.netbsd.org.

 Sorry i can't be of more help than that.

 -johan