Subject: Re: Ultra Enterprise 450 install
To: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
From: Christopher Sean Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/24/2006 16:50:58
On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 21:44 +0200, Michael-John Turner wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 10:03:16PM -0400, Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:
> > Any ideas? I'm hoping that this is just something silly that I don't
> > understand about E450s.
>
> I've never seen such behaviour when using a keyboard attached to a machine,
> but perhaps that's because I almost always do installations via serial
> console.  I've seen the behaviour you describe, but only when using an
> incorrectly wired serial cable installing OpenBSD/hppa (installation kernel
> would boot, but the kernel wouldn't accept any serial console input).
>
> Perhaps give serial console another go - set your terminal program to
> 96008N1 and you should be able to connect. I've had good results using
> minicom, but cu will also work fine.

I used both kermit and cu as terminal emulators. This E450 already has
solaris of some kind on it. I got farthest with the Sun Keyboard
attached though. With the terminal emulator I couldn't get the machine
to respond at all. Is/was there some protection switch that you could
set on the PROM to keep the E450 from listening to the keyboard until
after the operating system has booted. I'm wondering if the people who
owned this box before set some ultra high security setting on the box.

-- Chris

--
Chris Hilton                                   chris-at-vindaloo-dot-com
                "All I was doing was trying to get home from work!"