Subject: Re: Ultra Enterprise 450 install
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org, port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael Parson <mparson@bl.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/24/2006 10:50:39
On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 10:03:16PM -0400, Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> I'm trying to install netbsd 3.0 on an E450 that I recently acquired
> from a dot.com which had to downsize it's server room. The problem that
> I'm having is that once the sparc64 cd boots up to NetBSD I can no
> longer send keystrokes to the machine. In other words, I have:
>
>      booted the machine
>      pressed Stop-A to get to an ok prompt
>      done setenv auto-boot? false
>      done setenv boot-device cdrom

That wasn't all needed, you might want to start with a 'set-defaults'
and leave most of the PROM alone.  If you want to boot the cdrom, just
'boot cdrom' from the OK> would be enough.

> On boot the keyboard works. I can type boot after the system comes
> up to the ok prompt and it will read the NetBSD CD-ROM. On 3.0 When
> it comes up to the install prompt where it is asking what kind of
> terminal I have pressing Enter (I have a Sun-6 keyboard and a VGA
> adapter) does nothing. Pressing Stop-A at this point brings me to a
> kernel debugger prompt.
>
> I've had worse luck trying to get this to go from a serial console
> (xterm/kermit on my FreeBSD laptop in case anyone cares) In this case
> I cannot seem to send a break to the sun.

How are you sending the break?  Have you tried just using 'cu' instead?

> Any ideas? I'm hoping that this is just something silly that I don't
> understand about E450s.

Not a whole lot to mis-understand at this point.

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org