Subject: Ultra Enterprise 450 install
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org, port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher Sean Hilton <chilton@vindaloo.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/23/2006 22:03:16
Good evening,

I'm trying to install netbsd 3.0 on an E450 that I recently acquired
from a dot.com which had to downsize it's server room. The problem that
I'm having is that once the sparc64 cd boots up to NetBSD I can no
longer send keystrokes to the machine. In other words, I have:

     booted the machine
     pressed Stop-A to get to an ok prompt
     done setenv auto-boot? false
     done setenv boot-device cdrom

On boot the keyboard works. I can type boot after the system comes up
to the ok prompt and it will read the NetBSD CD-ROM. On 3.0 When it
comes up to the install prompt where it is asking what kind of
terminal I have pressing Enter (I have a Sun-6 keyboard and a VGA
adapter) does nothing. Pressing Stop-A at this point brings me to a
kernel debugger prompt.

I've had worse luck trying to get this to go from a serial console
(xterm/kermit on my FreeBSD laptop in case anyone cares) In this case
I cannot seem to send a break to the sun.

Any ideas? I'm hoping that this is just something silly that I don't
understand about E450s.

Thank you
-- Chris

--
Chris Hilton                                   chris-at-vindaloo-dot-com
                "All I was doing was trying to get home from work!"