Subject: Re: RAIDframe boot problems
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/17/2006 22:36:26
In article <20060415.004638.343164664.tn@catvmics.ne.jp>,
	Takeshi Nakayama <tn@catvmics.ne.jp> writes:
>> Rebooting with command: boot -s
>> Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1/ide@3/disk@0,0  File and args: -s
>> NetBSD IEEE 1275 Bootblock
>> .Inode not directory
>> Fast Data Access MMU Miss
>>
>> Any idea what is wrong?
>
> sparc64 bootblock looks for FFS1 magic number in normal offset
> first, then skip RAIDframe protected sectors to look for magic
> number (see line 443- of sys/arch/sparc/stand/bootblk/bootblk.fth).
>
> So I guess your disk still have FFS1 magic number (0x011954) in
> normal offset (0x00255c).

I've tried that work arround (by overwriting the first 128MB of each
harddisk) but it didn't solve the problem:

Rebooting with command: boot disk1 -s
Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1/ide@3/disk@2,0  File and args: -s
NetBSD IEEE 1275 Bootblock
>> NetBSD/sparc64 OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.8
>> (tron@colwyn.zhadum.org.uk, Thu Apr 13 17:18:11 BST 2006)
devopen: search_label returned Cannot read label
open /pci@1f,0/pci@1/ide@3/disk@2,0:a/netbsd: No such file or directory
: trying netbsd.gz ...
devopen: search_label returned Cannot read label
open /pci@1f,0/pci@1/ide@3/disk@2,0:a/netbsd: No such file or directory
: trying netbsd.old ...
devopen: search_label returned Cannot read label
open /pci@1f,0/pci@1/ide@3/disk@2,0:a/netbsd: No such file or directory
: trying netbsd.old.gz ...
devopen: search_label returned Cannot read label
open : No such file or directory
: trying onetbsd ...
devopen: search_label returned Cannot read label
loadfile: reading header
unknown executable format
Program terminated

[I have to use the second disk now because the first one got a bad sector.]

The RAID 1 is working fine and its contents is valid. If I load the same
kernel over NFS it will use the RAID 1 as root just fine and the machine
boots up without problems.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/