Subject: Re: stupid Ultra 10 serial port question
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/17/2006 12:55:53
--cmJC7u66zC7hs+87

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 12:40:18PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> > I've been attempting to get a PPP connection between two boxes using
> > a null modem cable (with the 4-1&6 1&6-4 etc). =20
>=20
> Unless this is a mockup of a dialup connection, my experience suggests
> that you would be better off using SLIP instead of PPP.  I once spent

Ultimately this is supposed to be a dial-in server.  Besides it's
inability to handle native IPv6, SLIP's 296 octet MTU even precludes
IPv6 tunneling (unless it fragments or something automatically).

> most of an afternoon trying to configure two boxes to get packets over
> a hardwired serial line with PPP and was unable to get something that
> came back up for all sequences of reboots and line disconnects and

Not Important Now.

> reconnects.  Then I switched to SLIP and it all Just Worked - SLIP is
> too simple for there to be anything to break, approximately.

I tried using the -h flag to slattach on both boxes.  Again, it works
between the Dell and uplcom, but not the Dell and Sun.  In fact the
Sun complains: "sl0: no carrier and not local".  However it does work
with the -l flag.

My suspicion is that Sun wired the port wrong, or that sabtty(4)
has some bugs.

The only remotely related thing to this in the past was:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc64/2003/08/02/0004.html

I tried connecting to a modem pool, it acts the same on both the
Dell and Sun (like in the above message),  but the hangup is
probably caused by my invalid username/password I think.

I noticed in sys/arch/sparc64/dev/sab82532reg.h:

#define SAB_CCR4_ICD    0x10    /* invert polarity of carrier detect */

but it is not used in sab.c.  I might try adding that bit to SAB_CCR4
in sabtty_reset().  Also, I'll try connecting between two my two
Ultra boxes.

	Jonathan Kollasch

--cmJC7u66zC7hs+87

--cmJC7u66zC7hs+87--