Subject: stupid Ultra 10 serial port question
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/17/2006 11:35:59
--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

Hi,

I've been attempting to get a PPP connection between two
boxes using a null modem cable (with the 4-1&6 1&6-4 etc).
The connection works between my no-name uplcom(4) and com(4)
of a Dell.  However when I connect that to serial port B
on an Ultra 10 things don't work.

One obvious difference is that with no cable connected the=20
Ultra 10 will start sending stuff immediately.  The OptiPlex
will wait for a carrier, CTS, DSR, DTR, or something before
doing anything.

Another thing is that with the cable connected starting pppd
on the Sun followed by the Dell will cause a hangup on both
of them.

When I start pppd on the Dell first, pppd on the Sun won't
send anything until I terminate pppd on the Dell.

But it's really baffling because tip and cu work fine.

This problem is annoying, but it's not important if it will
work fine with a real modem.  I don't currently have an ISP=20
or two phone lines to test with.  Does anyone successfully
use a dial-up/in modem on an Ultra 5 or 10?

	Jonathan Kollasch

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD--