Subject: re: ide disk woes ultra 5 (sparc-current)
To: Amadeus Stevenson <amadeus.stevenson@gmail.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/17/2006 05:42:56

   Sorry if this belongs in -current, but after just getting X to work
   I'm come across a problem I was having under 3.0 when doing something
   disk intensive:

   # find /usr/pkgsrc -name screen

   cmdide0 channel 0: reset failed for drive 0
   cmdide0:0:0:wait timed out
   wd0a:device timeout writing fsbn 931104 of 931...... retrying

this is what i see when i try to use the onboard interface a lot.
unless it failed to retry, it's usually ignorable (except for the
pause it causes.)  i tend to avoid the onboard IDE for anything
except boot devices and backup devices -- my OS and data live on
sata or ata100 controllers these days.  (archives of this list
have several discussions about what myself and others have been
using.)

.mrg.