Subject: Re: X on Ultra5 running 32bit sparc 3.0 (and firefox)
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/14/2006 14:38:59
> My only gripe is: Why is a binary package for mozilla and firefox
> (/packages/pkgsrc-2005Q4/NetBSD-3.0/sparc64/www/) available for
> sparc64 when they crash frequently whereas none are available for
> sparc? Is it because they don't even compile? I thought switching to
> 32bit userland would solve the problems firefox was having with
> sparc64...

Bulk builds are automated, so if a program builds, a binary package is
created.  I agree that this isn't too helpful for mozilla and firefox.
A "NOT_FOR_PLATFORM" entry could be added so that they aren't built for
sparc64, but I think they have some use.

> >From http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-bulk/2006/04/01/0001.html and
> subsequently ftp://asim.lip6.fr/outgoing/packages/sparc/3.0/20060331.1952/www/firefox/.broken.html
> it appears the bulk build failed at:
>
> nsTextFormatter.cpp:1076: internal compiler error: in convert_move, at expr.c:
>    565

You could try a build with gcc 3.4.  x11/qt3-libs doesn't build with gcc3.3
either and its Makefile contains:

  .include "../../mk/bsd.prefs.mk"
  # XXX: hack - work round an ICE with GCC 3.3 on sparc
  .if ${OPSYS} == "NetBSD" && ${MACHINE_ARCH} == "sparc"
  GCC_REQD+=		3.4
  .endif

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/