Subject: Re: DEFPA-DA FDDI on NetBSD/sparc64?
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/14/2006 00:15:32
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:49:31 -0400
"Sean Caron" <caron.sean@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this running with a GENERIC kernel or did you build one specially?
Custom kernel. But I only changed the kernel configuration by stripping
out unneeded drivers, no custom patches to the source.

> What do you mean by "almost"? :)
Minor problems like the non-working tcpdump.

> I wasn't expecting much, but I was hoping it could at least get the
> link up and send some packets..
It is good for this purpose. Don't get me wrong, fpa(4) is usable, it is
just not that good as it could be.

> If I could afford to run gigabit fiber all over the place, I wouldn't
> be using NetBSD on a bunch of old Ultra 10s!
Well. GBit equipment got quite affordable. "Consume grade" 8 port
switches are below 100 EUR / US$ now.

> I see that Linux "supports" this card as well with what is apparently
> a slightly different driver.=20
IIRC the Linux and the BSD DEFPA driver share the same core...

If you wane get the real FDDI experience: There are the SysKonnect FDDI
cards. They are good hardware, but there is no BSD driver. If you want
to write one I can provide hardware documentation. :-)
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen