Subject: Re: DEFPA-DA FDDI on NetBSD/sparc64?
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Caron <caron.sean@gmail.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/12/2006 11:49:31
------=_Part_7295_16247903.1144856971703

On 4/12/06, Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:49:14 -0400
> "Sean Caron" <caron.sean@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone out there gotten the DEFPA card up and running on sparc64?
> I am running a U5 and a U10 with NetBSD 2.0. I use a 32 bit SPARC user
> land with a 32 bit UltraSPARC kernel and both machine have a fpa(4).
> Works (almost).

Is this running with a GENERIC kernel or did you build one specially? What
do
you mean by "almost"? :)

> Is there something silly that I am perhaps not doing, or is there some
> > outstanding issue with the DEFPA driver on sparc64?
> Well, lets say fpa(4) is not the best driver in NetBSD. In the NetBSD
> 1.6 days I had to notice that fpa(4) doesn't run on big endian machines
> at all. This has been fixed. tcpdump(8) on a fpa(4) interface still does
> not work, at least on big endian machines. fpa(4) does some funky things
> with the bus_(space|dma)(9) interfaces, expecting certain
> bus_(space|dma)(9) internal implementation details it should not expect.
> And the performance of fpa(4) could be better. (I saw how good a DEFPA
> can perform under Tru64 Unix on an Alpha.)

I wasn't expecting much, but I was hoping it could at least get the link up
and
send some packets.. I don't need it to run flat out

fpa(4) is good if you wane play FDDI or if you have old machines with
> only 10 Mbit/s Ethernet, that are incapable of 100 Mbit/s Ethernet but
> can use FDDI. Otherwise: Bite the bullet and use Ethernet. The 1 GBit/s
> variant with jumbo frames will do better then FDDI. ;-)
> --

Well, when I said "network core" I meant "my personal not-for-profit networ=
core".
If I could afford to run gigabit fiber all over the place, I wouldn't be
using NetBSD on
a bunch of old Ultra 10s!

tsch=FC=DF,
>        Jochen
>
> Homepage: http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/

I see that Linux "supports" this card as well with what is apparently a
slightly different
driver. I'm going to give it a shot with debian sarge when i get back home
today and see
if it has any better luck at running the DEFPA. If it works, I'll probably
just use Linux.

If that works any better, I plan to try and juxtapose the NetBSD and Linux
fpa drivers and
see if I can combine them somehow to get something working in NetBSD -- I'd
much rather
use NetBSD than Linux, ugh. I'm not promising anything -- I'm no programmer
-- but I *did*
waste, and am in fact still wasting, over five years of my life in
electrical engineering school,
so I should be able to figure something out -- right? right. :)

So I hope.

Regards, Sean
scaron@umich.edu

------=_Part_7295_16247903.1144856971703

ername">Jochen Kunz</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de">jku=
nz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote=
" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0=
.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:49:14 -0400<br>&quot;Sean Caron&quot; &lt;<a href=3D=
t; Has anyone out there gotten the DEFPA card up and running on sparc64?<br=

I am running a U5 and a U10 with NetBSD 2.0. I use a 32 bit SPARC user<br>l=
and with a 32 bit UltraSPARC kernel and both machine have a fpa(4).<br>Work=
Is this running with a GENERIC kernel or did you build one specially? What =
do<br>
you mean by &quot;almost&quot;? :)<br>
 rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">&gt; Is=
 there something silly that I am perhaps not doing, or is there some<br>&gt=
; outstanding issue with the DEFPA driver on sparc64?
r>1.6 days I had to notice that fpa(4) doesn't run on big endian machines<b=
r>at all. This has been fixed. tcpdump(8) on a fpa(4) interface still does
s<br>with the bus_(space|dma)(9) interfaces, expecting certain<br>bus_(spac=
e|dma)(9) internal implementation details it should not expect.<br>And the =
performance of fpa(4) could be better. (I saw how good a DEFPA
I wasn't expecting much, but I was hoping it could at least get the link up=
 and<br>
send some packets.. I don't need it to run flat out<br>
 rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">fpa(4) =
is good if you wane play FDDI or if you have old machines with<br>only 10 M=
bit/s Ethernet, that are incapable of 100 Mbit/s Ethernet but
te><div><br>
Well, when I said &quot;network core&quot; I meant &quot;my personal not-fo=
r-profit network core&quot;.<br>
If I could afford to run gigabit fiber all over the place, I wouldn't be us=
ing NetBSD on<br>
a bunch of old Ultra 10s!<br>
 rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">tsch=FC=
f=3D"http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/">
I see that Linux &quot;supports&quot; this card as well with what is appare=
ntly a slightly different<br>
driver. I'm going to give it a shot with debian sarge when i get back home =
today and see<br>
if it has any better luck at running the DEFPA. If it works, I'll probably =
just use Linux.<br>
If that works any better, I plan to try and juxtapose the NetBSD and Linux =
fpa drivers and<br>
see if I can combine them somehow to get something working in NetBSD -- I'd=
 much rather<br>
use NetBSD than Linux, ugh. I'm not promising anything -- I'm no programmer=
 -- but I *did*<br>
waste, and am in fact still wasting, over five years of my life in electric=
al engineering school,<br>
so I should be able to figure something out -- right? right. :)<br>
So I hope.<br>
Regards, Sean<br>

------=_Part_7295_16247903.1144856971703--