Subject: Re: DEFPA-DA FDDI on NetBSD/sparc64?
To: Sean Caron <caron.sean@gmail.com>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/12/2006 09:31:10
On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:49:14 -0400
"Sean Caron" <caron.sean@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone out there gotten the DEFPA card up and running on sparc64?
I am running a U5 and a U10 with NetBSD 2.0. I use a 32 bit SPARC user
land with a 32 bit UltraSPARC kernel and both machine have a fpa(4).
Works (almost).

> Is there something silly that I am perhaps not doing, or is there some
> outstanding issue with the DEFPA driver on sparc64?
Well, lets say fpa(4) is not the best driver in NetBSD. In the NetBSD
1.6 days I had to notice that fpa(4) doesn't run on big endian machines
at all. This has been fixed. tcpdump(8) on a fpa(4) interface still does
not work, at least on big endian machines. fpa(4) does some funky things
with the bus_(space|dma)(9) interfaces, expecting certain
bus_(space|dma)(9) internal implementation details it should not expect.
And the performance of fpa(4) could be better. (I saw how good a DEFPA
can perform under Tru64 Unix on an Alpha.)

fpa(4) is good if you wane play FDDI or if you have old machines with
only 10 Mbit/s Ethernet, that are incapable of 100 Mbit/s Ethernet but
can use FDDI. Otherwise: Bite the bullet and use Ethernet. The 1 GBit/s
variant with jumbo frames will do better then FDDI. ;-)
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen