Subject: DEFPA-DA FDDI on NetBSD/sparc64?
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Caron <caron.sean@gmail.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/11/2006 22:49:14
Hello!

Long-time user of NetBSD/sparc and NetBSD/sparc64 but never really
encountered many problems until now. Hopefully someone can help me
out?

I've got a bunch of Sun Ultra 10 boxes here that I'd like to
eventually use as the core of my network. For kicks, I thought I might
to try and hook them all up on a FDDI ring. Unfortunately, it didn't
quite work out as planned!

So here's the scenario. I've got a little test lab set up. Two
identical machines:

Sun Ultra 10/440/ 2MB L2 cache, 256M RAM, 9G stock IDE HDD.

One DEFPA-DA dual-attach FDDI + CDDI card is installed in each machine.

I have a little ring set up, with multimode fiber going from port B of
one box to A of another, and vice versa.

Each machine has just a basic stock install of NetBSD/sparc64 3.0 on it.

So, I boot the two machines. They detect the FDDI cards just fine.

When I "ifconfig fpa0" to get the skinny on the card, it tells me "link dow=
n".

OK, fine.

I say "ifconfig fpa0 up".. just the simplest thing ever, not even
assign an address to it, and I get:

fpa0: Unsolicited Event: Station: Unknown Event #0

just scrolling down the screen infinitely, and the box is locked hard.
I can't get back to open firmware with Stop-A like usual; I have to
power-cycle the box to get it back up.

Has anyone out there gotten the DEFPA card up and running on sparc64?
Is there something silly that I am perhaps not doing, or is there some
outstanding issue with the DEFPA driver on sparc64?

I'd appreciate any pointers anyone has -- it would be no fun at all to
have to just run all these boxes on boring old Ethernet!

Thanks! Sean
scaron@umich.edu