Subject: Re: Poor network performance with Sun Ultra-5
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Raneland <raniz@gmx.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/11/2006 16:04:11
> It's a bit of a wild guess, but are you sure you're actually getting
> full duplex?  I have a switch that's supposed to be full-duplex-capable
> and with certain interfaces, when I let it autonegotiate, or
> hand-configure full-duplex on both ends, I get bad performance; letting
> the switch autosense and forcing the machine to half-duplex improves
> matters greatly.  You might give that a try and see if it helps.
>
> I also notice your dmesg shows a ukphy under hme1-hme3.  My hme uses
> nsphy, like your hme0, which leads me to suspect that you may be using
> a suboptimal phy driver.  If they're not already there, you might try a
> kernel with all the *phy drivers to see which one likes your hmes.
>
> /~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
> \ / Ribbon Campaign
>  X  Against HTML	       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
> / \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

I haven't found any way to make dhclient set the mediatype for me when I
connect, /etc/dhclient.conf gets ignored (it seems) and I don't know of any
way to specify it on the command-line.

As to the drivers, I've built a new kernel with all the *phy drivers and
without the ukphy driver, but that changes nothing (except that the network
rc-script fails and I have to set the address for hme2 manually).

Any other ideas?

/Raniz