Subject: Re: Poor network performance with Sun Ultra-5
To: Daniel Raneland <raniz@gmx.net>
From: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/10/2006 23:14:29
On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 09:53:37PM +0200, Daniel Raneland wrote:
> What could be wrong here? It seems to me that it is because all that time is
> spent waiting for something, but for what? and how do I fix it?

Not sure how much of a difference it'll make, but have you enabled TCP and
UDP checksumming for your network interfaces? Adding "tcp4sum udp4sum" to
our ifconfig stanza may help performance somewhat (doubt it'll double
though). You can tell if the options are enabled by looking at the output
of ifconfig.

For example:
hme0: flags=8a63<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,ALLMULTI,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        capabilities=3c00<TCP4CSUM_Rx,TCP4CSUM_Tx,UDP4CSUM_Rx,UDP4CSUM_Tx>
        enabled=3c00<TCP4CSUM_Rx,TCP4CSUM_Tx,UDP4CSUM_Rx,UDP4CSUM_Tx>

See ifconfig(8) for more info.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://weblogs.turner.org.za/mj/