Subject: re: benefits for using sparc64 rather than sparc
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/17/2006 03:41:40

   XFree86 is currently built on sparc, but only with drivers for
   framebuffers you're likely to find in 32bit machines and since it needs
   wscons it's only useful on SPARCbooks, Krups and machines with cg6. PCI
   support is in there and should work so building more drivers is just
   some trivial Makefile hacking.

it seems we should try to build the same set of drivers on sparc
as we do on sparc64 (but necessarily vice versa) as we can run
sparc on sparc64 h/w, but no need for eg tcx on sparc64.

   About ffb - it uses VIS assembler code, I'm not sure if that would Just
   Work or not - probably needs some extra fiddling to get it built, like
   telling the assembler to accept it.

is the VIS code 32 bit and 64 bit happy?  if so, it should be
no big problem... we already share assembler sources for these
platforms in several cases.

.mrg.