Subject: Re: benefits for using sparc64 rather than sparc
To: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
From: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/15/2006 06:53:16
Hello,

One of the reasons I got sparc64 going was to "stress-test" my software
and check for assumptions about memory alignment and number formats.
The bus error you got likely indicates such an assumption.  From what I
have read, you may see a performance improvement if you use the 32 bit
sparc userland and tools with a 64 bit kernel.  I've been told to expect
problems, ie: NetBSD threads won't work.

> LDAP or HTTPS server. From what I saw, using /i386 and /amd64 on my
> Athlon64 3200+ with 512Mo of RAM, you don't get improvement worth the
> lack of support for 64bits (soft that don't existe in 64bits like flash
> plugin or things that cores like firefox).

I have never had firefox coredump on amd64.  When I ran benchmarks, I
found a rough performance loss of 15% when running the i386 port on
amd64 hardware.

Ben