Subject: benefits for using sparc64 rather than sparc
To: NetBSD/sparc64 <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/15/2006 13:32:02
--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx

Hi,

First, I'm not sending a troll here :)
I'm just wondering how to use my sparc64's machine best (aka, getting
the most things running on it, without cores).

Getting another "thread blabla bus error" on my V100, I started to think
of trying the sparc port. I started by reading a few things about 64bits
procs (vs 32bits) on the Internet. Finally I ended there
(http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=3D5768&page=3D1) which seemed to
sum-up well what I already read elsewhere.

What I was wondering then is : is there any (real) benefits on running the
sparc64 port (rather than the sparc one) on the Ultra machines /sparc64
supports ?

I mean, since the sparc64 arch is limited to UltraSPARC I, II, IIe,
IIi, how many of those machine would benefit the >2Go RAM ability or the
integer size ? I don't doubt that for specific dutties, there is a real
point in running 64bits (graphics on SGI, mathematical app, ...), I'm
just wondering if the improvement is really there when running an SQL, IMAP,
LDAP or HTTPS server. From what I saw, using /i386 and /amd64 on my
Athlon64 3200+ with 512Mo of RAM, you don't get improvement worth the
lack of support for 64bits (soft that don't existe in 64bits like flash
plugin or things that cores like firefox). The gain of running 32bits
apps on a 64bits proc (that has a better internal cache, ...) is not
that far for 64bits on a 64bits proc, when then run.

Bash-me if 64bits apps are a real gain on sparc64 arch - or explain ;)
I did grow up with i686 machines only near me :)

TIA,
	Jo
--=20
,- This mail runs ------.