Subject: re: help me choose a sunblade :)
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/13/2006 13:36:31

   > > If you decide to go with Solaris, don't get Ultra5/10 or Blade
   > > 100/150 for that matter. Ultra5/10 machines have really crap onboard
   > > IDE controller, they're too slow and you'll end up buying SCSI PCI
   > > cards.
   >
   > Agreed 100%. I know several people who got ultra5s and then were
   > deeply disappointed.

   Throw in a SymBIOS UW SCSI card and the U10 suddenly becomes usable ;)
   I've never tried to use the onboard IDE for anything else than reading
   CDs, but since it doesn't even support UDMA I guess I never will.

any modern ata card works pretty well too.  see prior posts from
myself that in two disk subsystem upgrades (currently sata150)
both felt like they double the speed of various operations on
the system, turning it into a real server (at least for my
purposes) - a ~4x speed improvement over all from the original
onboard 9GB ide drives.

that said, i plan to upgrade at least one of my u10's to a u60
in the near future :-)

.mrg.