Subject: Re: help me choose a sunblade :)
To: None <segv@netctl.net>
From: Miguel Mendez <mmendez@energyhq.be>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/12/2006 09:55:22
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 02:32:03 +0000
segv@netctl.net wrote:

Hi there,

> If you decide to go with Solaris, don't get Ultra5/10 or Blade 100/150 for that
> matter. Ultra5/10 machines have really crap onboard IDE controller, they're too
> slow and you'll end up buying SCSI PCI cards.

Agreed 100%. I know several people who got ultra5s and then were deeply
disappointed. The Ultra60 costs about the same these days and is a much
better designed box. I got one last Xmas to act as my
mail/web/nfs/firewall server and of course it's running NetBSD :)

So far it's rock solid. The u60 shares the system board with the 250
and 220 and although it was sold as a workstation it can work as a
server just fine. The u5/u10 don't even play in the same league.

> Better choice would be a quod E450 with 4x400MHz CPUs (go for USII CPUs with
> 4MB cache) or something like Blade 1000 or 2000. These machine will cost you a
> bit more, but in my view are much better investment.

The 450 might be a bit overkill, it's a 95Kg monster and quite
demanding on electricity. If you want a Solaris server with SMP I'd
personally go for a 220R or 420R, or even a Blade 1000. The Blade
1000/2000 series are great and FC-AL disks are pretty cheap these days.
It also makes a pretty powerful desktop as long as you run Solaris on
it.

Cheers,
--
Miguel Mendez	<mmendez@energyhq.be>