Subject: Re: Re: help me choose a sunblade :)
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/11/2006 23:30:45
--jousvV0MzM2p6OtC

On Sat, Feb 11 2006 - 17:11, Michael wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> > OK - I should be able to find PC RAM that fits for free :)
>=20
> It needs unbuffered ECC modules - bog-standard PC RAM won't work.
>=20

I think some work (remember a thread about memory and proliant server).
And I read (in my V100 manual) that you can use either EEC or non-EEC (but
not both and have to switch a jumper) - if I understood it well =3D)

> > so would the 150MHz CPU gain worth the price difference ? ;)
>=20
> I doubt it. The 440MHz UltraSPARC-IIi I use now cost me about $40.
>=20
> > On peecee, I'm convinced it won't ; but I'm not sure on how well Sun
> > proc benefits such "tiny" frequency difference. If I compare my U5/333
> > and V100/550 when running apache2/squirrelmail or compiling pkgsrc
> > things, there is a noticiable speed gain. But those are more than
> > 150MHz difference.
>=20
> Going from 500MHz to 650MHz is still a gain of about 30%, should be
> fairly noticable. The question is if it's worth ~150 EUR to you.
>=20

Maybe I should try the target configuration on some old Celeron 500MHz
I own and see if such a frequency is enough... :)

> > If 100MHz is as visible as on PC machines, then the
> > blade 150 is not worth buying (in my case) - except if there are
> > "hidden" enhancements such as IDE bus access time, internal cache size
> > and such.
>=20
> Maybe, maybe not. Crucial recommended different memory modules for the
> 100 and the 150, I think there were more improvements than just a higher
> clocked CPU. If these exist they're not really obvious from Sun's specs
> though.
>=20

no :( I couldn't find specs such as IDE bus speed, ...

> > My initial question (maybe wasn't clear ;) was more about the whole
> > SB150 vs SB100 rather than specific to 512Mo RAM vs 1Go.
>=20
> I focused on memory because I thought that's the biggest difference ( in
> price at least ).

ok
in fact, the "package" of those workstation is not the same.
the SB150 has a 80Go disk and USB keyboard when the SB100 has none (disk&ke=
yboard),
but as I have a 120Go/8Mo_cache lying there, it'll fit in whichever I buy :)

> Hmm, the 150 has 512kB cache, the 100 only 256kB. The rest seems to be
> more or less the same.

yeah - looked like the same video card (PGX64), PCI slot number and DVD dri=
ve.
thanks for the notes !

	Jo

--jousvV0MzM2p6OtC