Subject: Re: Re: help me choose a sunblade :)
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/11/2006 22:40:01
--rJwd6BRFiFCcLxzm

On Sat, Feb 11 2006 - 16:11, Michael wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> > >=20
> > > Since I don't know the price I have no idea what the difference
> > > would be ;)
> >=20
> > sunblade 150 =3D 390 euros
> > sunblade 100 =3D 150 euros
> >=20
> > 1 euros being 1.19 US$
>=20
> Well, a new, unbuffered 512MB PC133 DIMM with ECC costs about $108 at
> Crucial, prices from other manufacturers probably won't differ much.
>=20

OK - I should be able to find PC RAM that fits for free :)
so would the 150MHz CPU gain worth the price difference ? ;)

On peecee, I'm convinced it won't ; but I'm not sure on how well Sun proc
benefits such "tiny" frequency difference. If I compare my U5/333 and V100/=
550
when running apache2/squirrelmail or compiling pkgsrc things, there is a no=
ticiable
speed gain. But those are more than 150MHz difference.
If 100MHz is as visible as on PC machines, then the blade 150 is not worth =
buying
(in my case) - except if there are "hidden" enhancements such as IDE bus ac=
cess time,
internal cache size and such.

My initial question (maybe wasn't clear ;) was more about the whole SB150 v=
s SB100
rather than specific to 512Mo RAM vs 1Go.

	Jo

--rJwd6BRFiFCcLxzm

--rJwd6BRFiFCcLxzm--