Subject: Re: Re: help me choose a sunblade :)
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/11/2006 22:01:14
--E/DnYTRukya0zdZ1

On Sat, Feb 11 2006 - 15:36, Michael wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> > to be used as a remote workstation (I mean the machine will be
> > headless, serial console and I will connect to it via xdm), what is
> > worth :
> >=20
> > * sunblade 150 / 650 MHz / 1Go RAM
> > * sunblade 100 / 500 MHz / 512Mo RAM
> >=20
> > the machine would be a "standard" workstation - xfce4 or fvwm2 /
> > firefox or links / thunderbird or mutt / a bit of gimp / much of
> > gqview, rox, album.
> >=20
> > the blade 150 is more than twice the price the blade 100.
> > that's why I'd like to know if the 150Mhz CPU diff and 512Mo of more
> > RAM would make a real difference ; especially because I am not sure
> > about how CPU acts when the machin is a XDM server.
>=20
> Since I don't know the price I have no idea what the difference would be
> ;)

sunblade 150 =3D 390 euros
sunblade 100 =3D 150 euros

1 euros being 1.19 US$

> But, as far as I can tell there's no such thing as too much RAM,

well... not "too much" nut "enough" :)
my AMD Athlon64 3Ghz has 512Mo of RAM and it's far from suffisient.
as it is the case with my Pentium4 at work.
I have a U5 with 768Mo and it don't seem to go faster/cooler than when it
had only 512Mo (but it's only a FW/Mail/Web server).

> especially not on sparc64. IIRC the blades need PC133 SDRAM with ECC (
> or at least parity ), half a gig of that might well be worth the
> difference.

ok :)

--E/DnYTRukya0zdZ1

--E/DnYTRukya0zdZ1--