Subject: Installation on SparcStation Ultra 1
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: John Honniball <coredump@gifford.co.uk>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/31/2005 11:50:41
Hi!  I'm new to this list, but have installed NetBSD before
on Alpha hardware.  I'm now trying to install NetBSD 3.0 on
a SparcStation Ultra 1 Creator, without success.  During the
install, the kernel drops out into the kernel debugger,
right in the middle of un-tar-ing a package.

This is how the install screen looks when it fails:

progress -zf /mnt2//sparc64/binary/sets/text.tgz tar --chroot -xhepf -

55% |******* | 4560 KB 1.47 MB/s 00:02 ETA

Stopped in pid 86.1 (tar) at 0x100bab4: stx %o1, [%o0 - 0x8]

db>

The machine has a 167MHz UltraScparc chip, 512Mb of RAM,
two Sun 2.1G disks (SCA SCSI) and OpenBoot 3.11.  I'm
installing to /dev/sd0, and I've tried both from CD-ROM
and from an NFS server.  The machine boots from the
CD-ROM and runs the installer just fine.

Thanks in advance for any assistance...

--
John Honniball
coredump@gifford.co.uk