Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Different_disklabels_of_usbstick_on_NetBSD2.0.2_i386_and_N?=
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org, port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Holm Spitzer <holm.spitzer@gmx.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/20/2005 09:22:53
Hi guys,

i have a problem with mounting a msdos partition on an usb memory stick.
The stick contains one msdos partition and a netbsd disklabel, which was
created under NetBSD 2.0.2 i386. I can mount the partition under NetBSD
2.0.2 i386, FreeBSD 5.4 i386 and Windows, bur not under NetBSD 3.0RC6
SPARC64.
NetBSD 3.0RC6 detect the stick sd1 after plugin. disklabel sd1 shows
following output:

# /dev/rsd1c:
type: SCSI
disk: mydisk
label: fictitious
flags: removable
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 32
tracks/cylinder: 64
sectors/cylinder: 2048
cylinders: 500
total sectors: 1024000
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # microseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
drivedata: 0

3 partitions:
#        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
 c:   1024000         0     unused      0     0        # (Cyl.      0 -
499)
disklabel: boot block size 0
disklabel: super block size 0

and this is the disklabel from NetBSD 2.0.2 i386:

# /dev/rsd0d:
type: SCSI
disk: mydisk
label: fictitious
flags: removable
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 32
tracks/cylinder: 64
sectors/cylinder: 2048
cylinders: 500
total sectors: 1024000
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # microseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
drivedata: 0

5 partitions:
#        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
 a:   1023968        32      MSDOS                     # (Cyl.      0*-
499)
 d:   1024000         0     unused      0     0        # (Cyl.      0 -
499)

I have played with different offsets and sizes without success. The stick is
unusable after i edit the disklabel under NetBSD 3.0RC6 SPARC64. I must
create a new slice with fdisk, format the slice with newfs_msdos and create
a new disklabel under NetBSD 2.0.2 i386.

Has anybody hints for me?

Thanks in advanced.

Holm