Subject: Re: possible kernel bug: stat mclpl after heavy net load
To: None <netbsd@wiki.uni-konstanz.de>
From: None <segv@netctl.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/14/2005 22:43:19
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:55:07 +0100
netbsd@wiki.uni-konstanz.de wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> i am not sure, but for me it looks like a kernel bug:
>
> I have a sun netra t1, with netbsd-2-0 sparc64 form 8 dec 05.
> The machine is a mirror and serves serveral DVD images (Wikipedia) via
> http. I have the problem that the httpd feezes after serveral 100Gig
> of network traffic (The network interface serves between 10-6MB/s
> constantly).

I've had problems with threaded applications on sparc64 port. For example
threaded Gtk applications would freeze, trying 'kill -9' on that application
would freeze the entire machine.

Not sure if you're experiencing the same problems, are your web servers
threaded? If yes then try building apache to fork, rather than spawning new
threads.

Personally, I found NetBSD on sparc64 to be rather flaky, hence every Sun
machine I have is running Solaris. I quite like NetBSD, but in my view the most
serious problems with NetBSD on sparc64 are:

1. Threading bugs.
2. SMP support is not there yet.
3. UltraSparc III, IV and T1 CPUs are not supported