Subject: Re: Gnome from Binaries... / KDEinit going mad
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/20/2005 20:20:38
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 01:11:22 +0000
segv@netctl.net wrote:

> Well I used Gnome once, it was so bloated and taking up so much RAM
> that I never bothered to give it another try. Then I thought I found a
> good desktop environment in the form of Xfce4, but the quality of
> their code is appalling: it leaks memory all over the place and you
> can't compile it with anything but gcc.
One of the reasons I like fvwm2. Simple, small, fast, highly
configurable, works OK even on a 20 MHz SPARCstation 1 with 40 MB RAM.

Somthing else: I instaled KDE on a U1e to get konqueror as web browser.
This KDE stuff is bloated as hell. My trusty old U1e with only 128 MB
RAM was swapping... And every few minutes of konqueror usage I got a
kdeinit process that was spinning 99,9 % CPU in "system". Fortunately I
could kill those mad processes every time. The machine didn't crash.
With -current from last summer the machine compleately froze sometomes
when this happend. Great improvement in stability.

Then I got a U2 with 300 MHz USII CPU and 512 MB RAM yesterday.
No swapping and no kdeinit process that was spinning 99,9 % CPU.
Interresting, isn't it? Swapping bugs?
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen