Subject: Re: framebuffer access
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/16/2005 15:11:59
On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 08:59:02AM -0500, Miles Nordin wrote:

>     mh> We could do that. Microsoft moved GDI inside the windows
>     mh> kernel, a long time ago.
>
> You're right---MS is a good warning post, and it's possible to imagine
> all kinds of acceleration and antialiased freetype stuff creeping into
> the kernel.  but I think characterizing what's going on here, asking
> that the ``sane framebuffer architecture'' on sparc64 be standardized
> onto all architectures, as equivalent to kernel GDI, is total FUD.

I feel completely misunderstood.

I know it's not what has been asked for, but I do think that moving
/dev/fb* out of sys/dev/sun/* into sys/dev/wscons would be a good think (tm)
and that it should be used by more ports (and their X servers).

I also do think that moving GDI into the kernel was a good idea for MS,
and I wasn't joking about DirectX either ;-)

Martin